It is okay to not know everyone and everything from your industry.
Those who belittle you for not knowing as much as they do, are not experts but bullies insecure about their knowledge and themselves.
They failed to learn the basic trait of being a leader is to be an inspiring and compassionate role-model.
Run away as fast as you can from such self-proclaimed leaders as they are a danger to themselves and your success journey.
A genuine leader:
1. Is a great listener
2. Is a keen observer
3. Is ready to teach what you don’t know
4. Is ready to learn what you know better than them
5. Does not ridicule you for knowing less, but helps you gain more knowledge
6. Does not reject a different point of view with no rational and a sincere dialogue
[Credits: Anj Handa and Nick Hayllor for being my logic-editors]
7. Does not assume that everyone has to know what they know
8. Does not believe they know better and more than everyone else
9. Has the patience to understand a different point of view, even if in disagreement.
10. Makes you feel inspired, motivated and enthusiastic about something you are yet to learn.
11. Is interested in helping to learn, rise higher and be better despite your shortcomings.
12. Is always open to feedback even if critical or unpleasant – and takes the time to understand it.
13. Is secure about their knowledge and themselves and always willing to expand their learning.
Above all, a genuine leader is someone who makes you feel empowered and inspires you to do more with your life.